Friday, March 6, 2009

A date with IIM Banglaore

I am going to write this in a very plain simple english (huh, as if I am a vocabs fundoo; gurrrrr that is the section which screwed me in CAT)

Pehle some background sequence : The night before my interview I came to know the trouser which I so proudly boast of being the only formal I have is actually considered a casual wear. So, the whole evening was spent in chosing the right formal pair for me. 
Query for IIMs: Why don't you allow the guys to appear for the interview in T and jeans. Does the formal also convey some gyaan!!!

Date: 3rd March '09 - Got up at 6:30 (one of the earliest morning i might have seen in B'lore :P, even 30 minutes before my customary alarm: huh!! was I so excited!!!). Naha dhoke taiyar hogaya ache bachon k tarah. Then came the hardest part: Tieing the Tie. All the 10 years of my schooling couldn't teach me this chhota sa task. Worse, my ullu ke patthe roommates also dint know either. Finally thanks to Dicky, 1 challeable knot bangaya :) Prayed to god for a good session, perhaps exams are the only time when I part away from my agnostic belief :)

I reached the spot at 8. Saw some more anxious faces, not many pretty ones though (read lack of chics :( )

The GD started by 9. There were 2 invigilators, a young man in his 30's and a lady in probably her 50's. We were 9 members in the group. 
Topic: A case study on the aging politicians It was something like this: "The prime ministerial candidate from the ruling party is 76 years old and that of the opposition is 81. So, a young guy's concern was how they can understand the needs and requirements of the youth. Another old friend of his was rooting for the experience. If there will be a prime minister for the youth, there should be a prime minister for the genders also. something of that sort."
The Problem Statement: should there be an upper age limit on the people who is contesting for the higher office? and what should be the criteria in selecting them?
Discussion: It went really smooth, absolutely NO fish market. Everyone got a fair amount of chance to speak. Overall a peaceful GD. Everyone went for the experience. I gave the proposal to have a change in the constitution to make an amendment for the political parties to put at least a certain number of youths in the elections so that they can be promoted. then i spoke about having a cabinet minister someone who is experienced and his understudy the state minister a youth, which normally happens. I spoke around 10-12 times i guess. In the last 3 4 minutes we ran out of new points, somehow i got a feeling we are nearing the 20 minutes mark, so i quickly pointed out saying, i think we have discussed enough to come to a conclusion. then we 2 3 persons summed it up. Pleasant surprise was the time we finished out the conclusion part, the time got up!!! I was more or less happy with myself, but still felt I could have done better. I for some unknown reason have an affinity towards the fish marketish GDs :D

I always thought my name can fetch me an early slot for PI considering the alphabetical order, but soon that vanishe when I discovered that I will be the 7th person to be interviewed. Let me tell you, waiting is the hardest thing to do just before an interview when you know you can't get any significant gyan whatsoever from the persons who had preceded you.

PI: The normal flow in the panel was "the WorkEx, roles and responsibility of the individual, what's the special thing about u". 1 or 2 guys were asked about their hobbies.

My PI: The same profs were present. 
I handed over the form to the lady. By that time they had gone thru my SOP, recos and other forms. I will refer them as G (guy) and L (lady). and myself as A (ashis)
L: Ashis Nayak, NIT Calicut haan!!!
A: Yes Ma'am
G: Ashis, which all games do you play?
A: (That came as a pleasant surprise to me as it was against the flow and i hadn't mentioned anything in my SOP about it; i had written these in my form; but who cares, I was loving it) Sir, I play Football, used to play cricket, I play Tennis, used to play TT before.
G: Which court do u prefer in Tennis?
A: My office has only a cement court (All laughter). I have started playing this from last 4 5 months.
G: Which position you play in Football?
A: CAM (central attacking midfielder)
G: Cricket?
A: 1 down bat, 2nd change bowler.
G: all rounder I see.
A: Smile 

G: What do u do to relax yourself after a hectic day of work in Intel?
A: (It is all falling in place feeling) I sometime play and mostly watch football; I follow all the leagues, mostly EPL. Then I read a LOT about football. I am a religious supporter of Manchester United. 
G: What made you a fan of Man United
A: Talked about the history, grooming the talent policy, attacking play and loyalty shown by players. told him I have been a fan since a decade now. gave the quote of "We don't buy stars, we make them here"
G: But then you are a fan of the manager Sir Alex not the club?
A: I explained it well stressing upon the point of the grooming, training, academy policy. And now Man United has this culture which will surely not change even if Alex leaves. Then talked about the support of the owners
G: what u think will happen to the club when Alex retires?
A: talked about the talent pool, support staff, the blend of youth and experience. talked about few players. admitted it will be difficult to fill up his shoes.
Then few counter questions on the attacking football, talent and all.
Answered them well with examples.
G: I have heard this word
killer instinct quite a few times. Many people have told me, Indian team lacks killer instinct, Dhoni's boys lack killer instinct. I personally find this weird. Do you know, what is the killer instinct?
A: answered well i guess, the ruthlessness. gave the example of australian cricket team. then a comparison of ManUTD and chelsea.
G: who won the I-league?
A: Dempo
G: Santosh trophy?
A: Punjab
G: what is the style of football they play?
A: to be honest, i haven't watched much of them to comment about it. It comes in the afternoon, so difficult to catch up. i just follow them in paper.
L: (finally she joined the party) who is more important, manager or player in football?
A: Manager, talked about their respective roles. gave example of Beckham and Nistelrooy. Gave one quote "no player is bigger than the club"
By now easily 10 minutes would have passed with me speaking for some 8 minutes 

L: enough of football, let's move to different sector?
A: Alright Ma'am
L: How these 2 1/2 years in Intel have made u a better person if at all you have become? what all you have learned?
A: talked about me becoming more disciplined, responsible that has come with the accountability in job (My manager will be proud to listen this duh!!!)
L: So you were not disciplined during college?
A: Smile, No ma'am i wasn't that disciplined, used to study before 1 or 2 days. devoted more time in time-pass, hobbies than the education 

Then i continued with the works, the responsibility i take in job. told about the global teams i work in and the standards i had done (i had mentioned that in the SOP)
L: Are you happy with ur tech job?
A: I am happy but i strongly believe i can do more and lot better.
L: don't u find ur job challenging?
A: I won't say, it's not at all challenging, but to certain extent it is not that challenging. talked about few instances. I think i was convincing.
then G asked many counter questions on these challenges, standards and a talk on My own desire and overall company desire.
I think, i answered them to my satisfaction, they look to be satisfied.
G: i see you have done all these proof of concepts.
A: talked about them and how i convinced the customers to take it when initially they were not ready for it.
By this time, I guess they were more or less happy with my answers, so decided to move on.
L: So what after IIMB?
before i can open my mouth, she only read it from the SOP. (be in a strategic management team taking crucial decessions)
A: talked a little. She had spoken almost everything.
G: but by seeing your attitude, your style of talking and your talks in GD, I think u can give ur 100% only in ur own company coz u need freedom, more space, no barriers (barriers, this is because the answer i had given for the challenges i faced in Intel question)
A: Sir nothing like that, i think if i reach that position, i believe, by that time i would have gathered enough skills to influence the concerned people which will give me the chance to fix the roadmap of the firm where it will head to. and my MBA study will also help me a lot in that regard.
G looks at L and said we are done, any questions: 
A: Sir, can I know the names plz.
G: Anil
L: Malathi.
Smiles exchanged, good day gestures. I asked if i should call the next person In.
L: No that's ok, just close the door.
Relief...I was amazed by the way they make me feel at so ease. I think I did well in the PI. but again, B is having these feel good interview thruout India. So can't make out much. Fingers crossed till 10th April (That's the date, IIM results are expected)

4 comments:

KM said...

i think this blog will very soon be published by some Author's HOW TO CRACK CAT PI: A book.....

so better u hide it or file patents...he he itz so perfect man..

Ajay Gopalakrishnan said...

Feel good interviews ... You should give an interview in the US. You feel so good in the interview that you forget it is THE interview. And then the inevitable happens! You screw up.

But yes, such interviews are really fun!

Was a lot better than your IIM-L interview I feel.

All the Best!

Ashok said...

all the best man, felt good while reading

Prajeesh Jayaram L said...

IIMs never asked u to come in formals. Its the students who generally go in formals. I have seen people give IIM interviews in casuals. Have known a fundoo who has converted also.