Sunday, March 29, 2009

Matchday 3: Showdown with IIM Lucknow

Date: 25th March
Venue: Hotel Monarch Luxure, Bangalore

I had an afternoon slot of 2PM interview, something which perfectly suites a nishachar like me :P. I took the Volvo from my place to majestic and from there on by an auto. Autowale ne phir mujhe thak di and 30 k jagah 60 ki thukwai :( Anyways, I wasn't in a mood to argue just before the all important final tussle. Finally reached the venue 10 minutes before, not bad!
There were like 70-80 people waiting in a big hall. All were divided into 8 panels (almost 10 people in each panel). I was in Panel 4. Surprise: there were 2 other people who I already had in the same GD panel of Indore. So, 2 known faces in a GD. Probability of that happening hmmm... dangerously close to "0", ain't it???

GD Topic: "God help the rich, poor can take care of themselves" :weird!!!
20 minutes to write about the topic in some 2 pages. I could finish 1 1/2 of it. No point in filling the rest for the heck of it. The discussion was smooth, almost everyone were zeroing on the same points. I was average that day, much lower than my usual standard. Twice I literally felt like listening to people than to put forward my ideas. Then it striked, aisa chalta raha to L me L lag jayenge (Courtesy: Welcome hehe). There was a suit-boot wala banda who was trying to come to GD every half a minute. I thought he must be a street-smart guy. But phir post-GD interaction verdict: Must be one of those barking funtoosh (UG in NITC lingo :P)
During the break, had good time-pass with couple of people. Then finally my turn for PI came, was 6th person in my panel to be interviewed.

PI: It was a 2-member panel. An old man "must be in his 50's", smart! & a young guy "looked like a student or a recent alumni at max", even smarter!
I will refer the Old person as "O" and Young one as "Y" and myself as "A"
I greeted them and took the seat. 
Y: Give me the certificate files. I did!
O: Ashis, introduce yourself!
A: Usual intro starting from native to schooling to extra-currics to engineering then some more extra-currics; By this time, I felt both of them were already bored and tired. The old man was literally holding his head right from the beginning of my interview. Then came out the trump card: my last line of the intro-I follow football a LOT and I am a religious supporter of Manchester United. As if they were waiting for something different, both looked charged up hearing this!
Y: How much religious?
A: Obsessed :)
Y: So, you guys gonna win EPL this time around?
A: Of course we will :) (Ye bhi koi poochne ki baat hai :P)
Y: What's ur prediction for top 3?
A: Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea
Y: When was the 1st world cup held?
A: 1930, Uruguay
Y: Who won it?
A: Uruguay, the home nation
Y: losing finalist?
A: Argentina...gosh!!! I wish they had won it :(
Y: Scoreline?
A: (I was expecting this) 2:0 (answer came in nanosecond)
Y: You, sure! (He must be thinking, how can a guy give a wrong answer with such a confidence :P) (Ye bhi 1 kala hai Sir :P)
A: Excuse me Sir, but I feel I am confusing with the scoreline of a later WC final! Can I have one more chance?
Y: Sure!
A: 4-2 :) (thank god, i remembered at the right time)
Y: That's right. Half time scoreline?
A: Huh! Not sure :(
Y: Will give you a hint: 2-1 it was, tell me who was 2 and who was 1?
A: Ohhk. Argentina 2, Uruguay 1 :) Uruguay later scored thrice to win it...Bingo!!!
Y: Goalscorers?
A: (WTF! Now, that is too much of expectation, huh!) I don't know sir!
Y: Alright, last WC?
A: Germany, 2006
Y: Who won? 
A: Italy, beating France
Y: Score?
A: 1-1 till fulltime, extra-time. 6-5 in the penalty
Y: Who scored?
A: Marco Materazzi and Zidane the great :)
Y: Materazzi was in controversy during that time!
A: Materazzi has always been in controversy throughout his career :P
Y: No, something happened during the WC final.
A: The headbutt incident.
O: Explain (Finally the Old person asked something)
A: Materazzi sledged, abused Zidane and Zidane in turn head-butted him!
Y: What was that Materazzi said that Zidane got provoked?
A: Sir, can I be blunt here? ;)
O: You of course can
A: Then came out the usual ma-behen ki story :P (for those who may not be knowing: Materazzi was pulling Zidane's jersey; Zidane said: Mate, I will give it to you after the game; Materazzi: I will rather prefer that of your ma or behen :P) Zidane: dhishoooooooooooooom!!!
Y: Who was at fault?
A: Zidane, gave him a good reason on sledging is part and parcel of game; physical contact, out of book; then something on role-modelship
O: But he provoked and said bad about his ma and behen; (then came the bomb) tujhe raste me koi behenchod bole to tujhe kaise lagega (trust me, this is what he said me; that to be in shudh hindi) (btw, i had put asteriks for the celebrated word; now revoked it to original on public demand)
A: I will be angry of course and will react; but then came back to the topic and talked about Zidane's responsibility towards his team and nation; Marna tha to khopche me leke maarta; who cares after the game :P
O: Some more counters on morals, ethics
A: I was very much staying on the ethical part (contrary to my natural stand)
Y: Tell something on ur responsibility in Intel!
A: Explained in 3, 4 sentences
Y: Intel has this punch line Intel Inside! 
A: It had. Got a new one some 3 years back!
Y: Yea, what does the punch line convey?
A: Talked about "Every computer has an Intel chip inside it!!!"
Y: So, you from Rourkela? Tell me about the similarity between this Intel's punchline and SAIL's punchline (the ad is very famous)
A: (Phu!!! I dint know). I don't know about the particular ad, but certainly can co-relate the impact of SAIL on life of a Rourkelaite :P
Y: Then he told about the punchline "There is SAIL in every man"
A: Then I explained it.
Y: Tell something about Rourkela you like the most
A: My favorite pass time topic :P Maza aagaya!
Y: Ashis, what all calls you have?
A: Bangalore, Lucknow and Indore
Y & O: All the best Ashis
A: thanks Sir :)

So more or less, quite a satisfying interview after a not so good GD. That puts the curtain on my IIM showdown. Waiting for the results. I hope, I will make it to the best :) Fingers crossed!!!

Now, it's FUN time!!!

5 comments:

Ajay Gopalakrishnan said...

WTF!! Was this an interview to a Football Manager position? What did they want to test in this interview? GK?

TF!!! said...

God knows man! what I came to know from the friends in IIM is that, from the profile they make a pre-notion whether to select a candidate or not! If you are in their good books, then they keep u in ur comfort zone and ask on ur strengths to ascertain that you are really good in that. And if u happen to be in the bad books, they will take u out from ur comfort zone and try to find out if you are good in some other fields :P God knows in which side I was :P
btw BigB, i guess tune mera IIMB experience padha nahi; else your perception will change again!!!

harsha_kn said...

awesome dude !! Proves the fact that a football obsession never goes waste :) Fingers crossed

KM said...

sale baichung ko bhi itna yaad nahi hoga...:-)

Ashok said...

all the best dude, keep rocking